Selecting all footnotes

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

Selecting all footnotes

Postby Barletius » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:00 pm

In Microsoft Word I may enter the footnotes field and "select all" — all footnotes in the current section or document. Then I may adjust the style to all the footnotes at once. Since I have more than 400 footnotes so far, this is essential. Can I do this in Mellel?
Barletius
New to all this

Re: Selecting all footnotes

Postby rpcameron » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Change your document's footnote attributes in the 'Edit style sets…', or use the 'Edit note attributes…' option.
— Robert Cameron
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Postby Barletius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 am

Thank you, but the problem is that I did not compose in Mellel and so the footnotes are not yet in the footnotes style. The reason I want to select all the footnotes is to change them from regular to footnote style.
Barletius
New to all this

Postby rpcameron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 pm

I suppose I might be missing something. Are the notes you want to style not actually imported into a note stream, but are instead body text? If that's the case, then I don't believe there is anything you can to select them en masse.

However, if they are imported as notes, then getting them styled shouldn't be a problem. Create a note style, then modify the note attributes for that stream to use your new style. After making the changes, your imported notes should now be in keeping with your new style.

I haven't used notes in Mellel in a while, so if this is not the case, then I suppose there exists a major shortcoming in the app.
— Robert Cameron
rpcameron

Postby Barletius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Thank you. No, when I imported my document from Word, all the footnotes were positioned properly as footnotes, located at the bottom of each page, but without any style at all, much less as Footnotes Style. I am seeing "Character: Times New Roman Regular 10 (Base)" and "Paragraph: Par. style+"

I can click on one footnote and change its style from [no style] to Footnotes style. But I have some 400 existing, imported footnotes, and want to modify them all with one click. For example I can click [Command A] anywhere in the body to select all the text in the entire document. I want to do the same thing with the footnotes. In Microsoft Word I can click into the footnotes area and Command-A highlights every footnote, after which I can italicize, underline, etc., to every footnote, not just one at a time.

Mellel is not letting me do that at least in that way. Command-A in the footnote area only highlights that particular footnote, not all the footnotes. Am I making sense?
Barletius
New to all this

Postby rpcameron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:07 pm

So it sounds like you notes are properly imported. Have you tried to apply a style to them through the Insert > Note > Edit note attributes… dialog? That should allow you to override all of your existing footnotes ...
— Robert Cameron
rpcameron

Postby Barletius » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 am

Thank you. It did not work. Maybe Mellel could just add a select all footnotes feature. Seems simple enough feature. If Word can do it … certainly Mellel can!
Barletius
New to all this

Postby Bulow » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Barletius wrote:Thank you. It did not work. Maybe Mellel could just add a select all footnotes feature. Seems simple enough feature. If Word can do it … certainly Mellel can!

But it does work. Are you sure you have done everything Cameron said? Creating a new note-style in 'edit style sets' and then applying it through insert>note>edit note attributes where you choose the 'note styles' above left. Here you will find the new note-style that you have just defined. Chose it and OK. I often import from Word, and it works every time.
Bülow
Bulow

Postby farcas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I second this request for select all footnotes/endnotes, but for a different reason: I'd like to copy all my footnotes/endnotes.

Is this possible? Is there a work around?

Thanks!
farcas
Read the guide!

Postby peter.malik » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:15 pm

farcas wrote:I second this request for select all footnotes/endnotes, but for a different reason: I'd like to copy all my footnotes/endnotes.

Is this possible? Is there a work around?

Thanks!

As far as I know, there isn't at the moment (I've asked Eyal before) and I, too, second this request. This is most desirable and would benefit greatly this already remarkable piece of software!
peter.malik
Got the auto-title mojo working

Postby farcas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:14 pm

So feature request:

Select all footnotes (not just the one footnote your in)
Perhaps a ⌘ + A (twice)?

Thanks!
farcas
Read the guide!

Return to The Nitty and the Gritty